Latehar town is the district headquarters of Latehar district. The office of the Deputy Commissioner is located in Latehar town. Deputy Commissioner is the head of the District Administration and is Ex-Officio Chairman of various Societies/Agencies that are involved in the development of the district. Deputy Commissioner is also the District Programme Coordinator under MGNREGA. Various Societies and Governmental Agencies that are in the direct control of the Deputy Commissioner are DRDA, ITDA, Centrally Sponsored Social sector, Welfare schemes etc.
The Deputy Development Commissioner is the ex-officio Managing Director of D.R.D.A. as well as Chief Executive officer. There are nine blocks in the district. At the block level, Block Development officers are involved in development works of the respective blocks, there are supervisory level officials & Panchayat Sevaks and Jansewaks at the panchayat level.
Besides the Agencies that have been referred above, there are various line departments that also plan, implement, supervise and monitor the schemes as per instruction of their respective departments.
- District Agriculture Officer
- Divisional Forest Officer
- District Soil Conservation Officer
- District Welfare Officer
- District Fisheries Officer
- District Education Officer
- Civil Surgeon
- District Superintendent of Education
- Executive Engineer, R.E.O.
- Executive Engineer, N.R.E.P.
- Executive Engineer, Minor Irrigation
- Executive Engineer, P.W.D. (Road)
- Executive Engineer, P.H.E.D.
- Executive Engineer, Water Resources
- Executive Engineer, Electricity Board
- District Mining Officer
There is a 20-point Programme Implementation Committee at the district level under the Chairmanship of Minister of state of Govt., who is nominated by the State Govt. Deputy Commissioner is ex-officio Secretary of the committee. This Committee supervises and monitors implementation of the schemes of line departments.